Blog Post #1 – Soggy Suitcases, Foggy Bottom

Moving in seemed hard, but the rain didn’t make it any easier. Check-in was at one place, and my actual housing was a block away. Though it was only a block, it seemed like an endless sidewalk; I was dragging my suitcases in a big blue bin, one hand steering and another shielding my eyes from the rain. Just slightly perplexed, I trudged through the water to get to the place I would be living for the next ten weeks.

Arriving in DC, I didn’t know what to expect. I hadn’t been here since an eighth grade field trip for three brief days, when toured monuments and memorials all day until we went back to the hotel room. I chose DC because I wanted a new environment, and to explore places that I could potentially work post-grad. After a whirlwind of applications, resume editing, and interviews, I landed on an internship at a non-profit legal services firm called Mil Mujeres. I chose this firm because it seemed like a place where I would get real, hands-on experience at immigration law, a field that I had a career interest in. Although pre-law, I haven’t decided what kind of law to pursue, let alone when I would go to law school. This internship seemed like the perfect place for me to start my process of elimination regarding the different fields of law. Especially since this was a smaller firm, I hoped to actually work on client cases and learn the skills necessary at an immigration law firm.

One thought on “Blog Post #1 – Soggy Suitcases, Foggy Bottom

Hi Sophia! My name is Michael Joiner-Hill and I’m a Coach Lead at the Hub. I, along with Hub Intern Peyton, will be following along with your blogs this summer! Looking forward to learning about your internship experience!