The Cali Difference | #1

I’d never set foot on the West Coast until June 8th. The cognitive Early Learning Lab at the University of California, Berkeley is to thank for that drastic yet invigorating change. My first week in at the BELL internship has introduced much of the same change. The BELL Lab is a cognitive development based lab, and offers a engaging projects and studies in active learning, causal learning, probabilistic reasoning, inference, and cognition. My specific graduate assignment deals with children actively gathering information and generalized information gain and belief update, where we will tests reasoning and cognitive abilities in these areas within testing. I’m hoping that the lab will give me insight as to wether I really am interested in the cognitive processes in children and what questions or curiosities I’m desire to delve into more. By meeting the program mentor, the graduate researchers, the project type that I will be assisting with, and (soon) the study environment, I believe I have a solid understanding of the goals laid out for me:

• Learn data and coding software (R, Python, and datavyu)
  • Testing and running a full study without assistance from start to finish (within a 20 minute time set)
  • Collect and interpreting feedback
  • Successfully and holistically train the other intern upon her arrival

The professional development list seems expansive, but no doubt achievable. Soon I’ll be given all of the materials to assist me, and I’m pretty excited to say the least. On the opposite spectrum in terms of personal goals, I have just a few:

• Make friends
  • Have fun
  • See if I really want to a cognitive/developmental researcher or if I should switch specialties (???)
  • Discover the Cali difference

One thought on “The Cali Difference | #1

Hi Tori! My name is Mike Schropp and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub and will be following along during your internship.

I really like how you’ve already laid out a construct for your internship and the goals along the way. It shows that you’re prepared and planning to make the most of your internship experience. I also like how you separated out your personal and professional goals and am glad you have a mix of both since it’s important to try and find a good work/life balance.

I look forward to hearing more from you and how your internship experience is going!