My First BIG Project – #3

At the very beginning of my job, my supervisor made clear that I would be fully in charge of organizing everything for Tech Trek.

I thought this would be a fun (and somewhat easy experience) so I was super happy to do it.

Well. If you haven’t heard of Tech Trek, it’s basically this thing in the summer where companies all over Ann Arbor open their doors and showcase what they do to the general public. It’s a whole day ordeal with thousands of people registering every year.

Anyway, I was in charge of planning and organizing everything for our company which meant picking where our “booth” would be, planning out what we would showcase, etc. Of course, everyone at the company would happily help me if I asked, but I was responsible for directing and organizing those meetings.

The biggest thing I learned from organizing this event is that I greatly underestimate the effort it takes to accomplish something.

I thought planning this out would be a somewhat simple and fairly quick project, but including the planning, testing, organizing, meeting, and decoration time I probably ended up putting in 30-40 hours into this project. Of course this includes tests and creation of potential showcase material we chose not to use, but even without that, the project was still much bigger than I expected.

And I also had some pressure over my head because SpellBound won the “best of Tech Trek” award 2 years in a row, and we wanted to make it 3, so it had to be good!

Overall, while this project was definitely a tough one, it was one of my favorite things I’ve worked on at the internship so far because of how our team came together during the decoration and organizing process, and during and after the actual event.

Was it good? I’ll let you be the judge:

2 thoughts on “My First BIG Project – #3

Ilya,
    Congratulations on the Tech Trek success! It shows that your colleagues have a large amount of trust in your organization and work quality to put together SpellBound’s Tech Trek booth and showcase. A number of my colleagues at the Hub attended and said the day was awesome.

You mentioned that event planning was more work than expected. Can you talk about your planning process? Besides the success of the overall event, what are some accomplishments within the project/process that you can speak to? Articulating your small (and big!) wins along the way will be helpful in your internship takeaways!

Great pictures! If Spellbound and your colleagues are comfortable with it, we would love to have you enter in the July Hub Photo Contest (http://myumi.ch/LoDON)! We have categories including A Window Into Work, Work/Life Balance, Explore the Local Community, and Landscapes/Landmarks to keep in mind!

What is next on your plate, now that Tech Trek has wrapped up?
    Beth

Hey Beth,
    Thank you! I definitely appreciated the team entrusting me with this, and during this internship I definitely feel like a part of the team rather than being “the intern” if that makes sense.

Regarding the planning process, I think I mostly felt overwhelmed with how much had to be done because I’ve never planned an event like this before.

I had to:
    – Plan out what SpellBound experiences we would showcase
    – Decide where we would be located in the building
    – Plan out the room layout
    – Discuss decorations, talking points, and more that I’m forgetting right now.

I think my biggest win in the planning process was writing everything I had to do out and then going down the list one by one so it didn’t feel as overwhelming. That way I could come to work and know that X was next, rather than having a ton of thing I “should” be working on, but being paralyzed because I wasn’t sure which one I should pick.

I’m actually planning another event for SpellBound right now as we will have a table at Art Fair which should be fun!

Thanks!