Wrapping Things Up | #6

All good things must come to an end, and this is unfortunately my last week interning here at the Kelsey Museum of Archaeology. I’ve been working at this museum since the beginning of May now, and I thought I would take some time to reflect on this experience and how it’s affected my goals for the future.

A major part of the reason I wanted to intern at the Kelsey Museum this summer was to see what it would be like to work in a museum setting. The two major career paths I’m currently considering post-college are academia and museum work. I have some sense of what academia would be like from talking with my professors and grad students in my department, but before this internship I had no real idea of what working in a museum would be like. I love visiting museums, so in theory I thought it would be great, but I felt that I really needed to try it out before I decided either way.

I can’t say how working at the Kelsey compares to working in other museums, but I’ve really loved my time interning here this summer. One of my biggest concerns going in was that museum work would be more flat and less exciting than academia, but interning at the Kelsey has shown me how diverse and interesting life in a museum can be. From exploring the collections to helping the exhibit designers to visiting other museums, every day is different and, as work environments go, far from stale! I have no idea where my post-college plans will take me yet, as I still have two more years of undergrad here at UM, but I’m definitely going to look into museum work more seriously after this experience. Who knows, I might even add a minor in Museum Studies!

Interning at the Kelsey Museum has also reaffirmed my interest in archaeology and helped get me excited about the work I’m doing in my independent research project and my own Classical Archaeology degree. As part of this job I got to interact with people from a variety of different research backgrounds – people who focused on textiles, people who focused on ancient Egypt, people who focused on historic American archaeology. Listening to them talk about their field school experiences, the excavations they’ve been on and the work they’re currently doing made me really excited about my own degree and the subjects I’m researching as a part of that. So, as well as increasing my interest in museum work, my time here at the Kelsey has also helped me get ready for my own studies and research in the fall.

The past two months have been an incredible experience – I’ve been exposed to so much new information and so many interesting people, and I’m so grateful I got to have this experience this summer. This is the part in this blog post where I would write I’m sad my time at the Kelsey has come to an end and how much I’m going to miss it, but lucky for me it’s not quite over yet! Although this will be my last blog post for the Opportunity Hub about my internship, I’ve been talking to my supervisor and I’ve decided to stay on this summer to do more work for the Kelsey Museum. I’m not sure yet whether I’ll be continuing with inventory or working on a different project, but either way I can’t wait!

Thank you so much for following along with me during my time at the Kelsey, and I hope you all have an incredible rest of your summer. 🙂

One thought on “Wrapping Things Up | #6

Hi Shannon, so great to hear your internship felt like such a rewarding and enriching experience. I’ve enjoyed followed along and reading on your progress as you went. I hope that this experience really has helped shape and inform your goals going forward. It seems like it’s been a very enlightening experience that has inspired you and created a sense of passion and excitement. I wish you all the best going forward!