What Happens When the Workload Picks Up | #2

I’m currently on week 4 of my internship with Marsh in Chicago and things are finally starting to get interesting around here. I started this internship during a busy time for the company as most insurance plans renew on July 1st, so everyone’s working hard on those and it started off tough to get people to sit down and take the time to give me and explain jobs to me. But now that I’m starting to grasp what things in the insurance world means, the workload is picking up. The days don’t feel like they’re dragging on as I’m trying to make one assignment last me 2 hours when it could probably last me 20 minutes. I also think people are starting to understand my capabilities and have even asked for my advice (which definitely felt good!).

I’m finding that I’m enjoying this now a lot more than I thought that I would. I came into this just hoping to do risk management and wasn’t anticipating what else I’d have to do. I haven’t done very much risk management and have been working a lot more on the insurance side of this company. I wasn’t sure going into this internship about how I felt about insurance but there’s a lot more that goes into it than just a company purchasing some insurance. It also seems to change a lot more than I thought that it would–meaning it’s not the same mundane work everyday–which I was worried about. I’m surprised that when doing brokerage work there’s many different factors and steps and I’m getting to see all of them during my short 10 weeks here. I’m excited to see what else my coworkers have me do and hope to learn more about this process as the internship progresses and I keep getting new and different assignments.

Ally Y

Currently interning at Marsh in Chicago, IL

One thought on “What Happens When the Workload Picks Up | #2

Ally,

Thank you for sharing more about your experience. I’m glad to hear that things are picking up and you are learning more about aspects of the company that interest you. It sounds like you’re getting insight into a lot of great aspects of insurance work. I’m curious to hear more about what specific aspects you are connecting with and how that may or may not change how you think about future career goals. I look forward to hearing more about your experience and what projects you’ve been working on!

Zanib