More Focused Career Goals #6

I am confident that I want to pursue a career in event planning. However, with each event job/experience, I discover more specifically the aspects of event planning that I love. These specific aspects of event planning, though, often change depending on the industry I am working in. For example, working on the event planning team for the Michigan Fashion Media Summit, I loved being able to be creative and elegant with decorations for the Thursday night launch party. Contrastingly, planning the weekly food truck event for Cleveland Health-Tech Corridor (my internship last summer) did not involve decorations since this was a recurring outdoor event. By working in a variety of event industries while I am still in college, I have hoped to figure out the specific type of event planning I want to do in the future based off the cumulative list of aspects I like about the industry.

With StarEvents, I was able to see what I did and did not like about helping to plan festivals. I loved being able to work with a large amount of people who came from all different backgrounds. From vendors selling a cultural product to attendees who lived in the area, all the people I met during my time at StarEvents were interesting, friendly, and unique. I liked working a job that put me in direct communication with the people who contribute to the overall event. Through StarEvents, I have learned that I favor event planning jobs where I am actively communicating onsite with those I work with.

However, I have come to realize that my favorite part of event planning is being creative, fun, and elegant with decorations. I love planning table centerpieces, party giveaways, and working around a theme. With outdoor festivals, and often outdoor and public events in general, decorations are usually not part of the planning process. The creative aspect of an event comes elsewhere with festivals. It comes from intentionally picking the vendors, musical groups, and activities that best fit the need and purpose of the event. While I enjoyed thinking intentionally about these factors, I still missed Pinterest boarding fun decorations!

I am so thankful for this internship and truly did love every second of learning about and working street festivals. However, I am not sure that this is the specific event industry for me. I have learned through StarEvents that my interests better suit me to work for events that are a bit more elegant/luxury and private.

Because of this realization, I want to really focus senior year on finding an event planning job that is either corporate-based or more specifically, in the retail world. I am thankful for StarEvents along with my other event experiences that have helped me hone in on this more specific plan upon graduation.

3 thoughts on “More Focused Career Goals #6

I am so happy to know your internship helped you come to this realization, Marisa. In the Hub we talk all the time about the importance of internships helping students realize what they DONT want to do, as much as what they do want to. As you think about returning to campus in the fall, I know 1 business that might be a good fit for you if you want another internship in the niche you’re looking for: http://jenhousedesign.biz/. Jen was my wedding planner, and amazing. She’s full time in the events and floral design business now, rather than weddings, and I know she hires interns. They’re based in Plymouth.

Finally, another gorgeous photo! Please consider submitting to the photo contest. http://myumi.ch/LoDON

It’s been awesome to get to follow your events internship journey this summer, Marisa. Thank you for your thoughtful and timely posts! I hope we get a chance to meet in the Hub next academic year.

Sincerely,
    Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I checked out Jen’s website and it seems like such a great company- truly a good fit for the type of event planning I am interested in. I am currently searching for an internship during the academic year and would love a connection to hear about Jen’s experiences working as a wedding planner.

As for the photos, they are the photos that our StarEvents photographer shares with our office. Since they are not my original works, I am not sure I can submit them to the contest.

Thank you for the thoughtful replies throughout my summer internship! I definitely plan to connect this upcoming year at the Hub!

Best,
      Marisa

I wondered if those photos were from a professional, they’re so cool. I will reach out to Jen and see if they’ll be hiring for next year. I’ll let you know via email. 🙂