Studying Medical Interns #2

Hello Readers,

This is my second blog post after taking an internship in Ann Arbor,MI that focuses on the lives of first year medical residents interns and the stresses they face in their everyday lives for that first year. A large focus of the lab was the development of depression in this first year as these interns faced things such as sleep loss, burnout, mood changes, or even ideations of suicide.

The work in the lab has taken a dramatic turn recently as the focus has shifted from sending out materials to participants for data collection to analyzing available data from past cohorts and connecting it to an area of personal research interest. Can you believe we sent out over two thousands packages in just a few weeks. It was defiantly a great experience and I gained skills I never thought I would during an internship.

My final update (for now) has to do with the direction of my independent research project. Originally, I was interested in studying educational debt and its connection to depression in medical interns but after reviewing some literature and giving it some thought, I have dove into the exploration of the effects of daily mood changes during the internship year and how that affects the likelihood for an intern to be depressed and have ideations of suicide. I have created an outline for the next 6 weeks of my internship and plan to do an extensive literature review in the next week to start this off! Stay tuned for more!

One thought on “Studying Medical Interns #2

Hi Mohamad! Thanks so much for the updates! Two thousand packages is A LOT! I’m curious to learn more about how you identified who you were going to send the packages out to, and how local, national, and or international your pool of participants is. You also say that you’ve gained a lot of skills that you never thought you would – what are those skills? And how do you think you’ll utilize them in this internship and in work environments in the future?

Interesting switch in independent research! I can’t wait to hear more about what you find in your lit review over the next couple of weeks 🙂