AB Blog #3: My Identity at PwC

We all have many individual identities (personality, hobbies, etc.) and group identities (race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, ability, religious/political affiliations). Please reflect on a part of your identity that you are seeing or feeling in a different light.

I started my first day feeling like my identity was going to be a “temporary employee,” “student,” and “intern.” Knowing that I did not join this department as part of an internship programs, and as the only student in the department for the summer, I was not sure how to feel about this identity. I was a little nervous about and whether it would give me a leg-up in being able to try new things without expectation to do it perfectly or without any questions- or whether it would just make people hesitant to ask me for help on projects and give me a challenge. I have found that since that first day, this identity as an intern has only been beneficial. I feel as though I have gained the respect of my coworkers as if I am a full-time associate, and I am able to join some projects, meetings and environments alongside others. It is also expected that I may have questions and curiosities. Above all, it is not expected that I have everything figured out, and that has made all the difference!

One thought on “AB Blog #3: My Identity at PwC

Hi Abby! I love this post! Thank you for sharing your reflections about your identity at PwC. I can totally understand your nervousness about joining an organization as the sole intern — I’m sure many other of your peers felt that same way! However, it sounds like you have harnessed that nervous energy into making a really great impression and having an overall positive experience (so far!). It speaks volumes about your talent and how you are handling yourself to know that you are already earning such respect from the other employees. Above all, it is amazing to hear that these questions have not hindered your ability to stay curious. Be sure to keep asking questions — now is the time to learn as much as you can not only about the work, but also about yourself!

Until next time, Go Blue!