Blog post #3

I’ve always been a person that likes a good challenge. When I heard friends were struggling with a problem (math, science, relationship, etc) I would become interested and want to help but I haven’t always been able to find correct solutions. Naturally, I was attracted to physics as an undergrad because I saw so many of my peers run away from it. I like how physics can help explain how the universe works. I feel like I am in a field that I genuinely love but it has never been easy keeping up with the assignments.

When I started the internship at Dr. Daniel Levin’s Lab I was expecting to get challenged but I wasn’t ready to learn how little prepared I was/am. I remember one time Dr. Levin was telling me about how we were going to make a calculation assuming I had retained certain math technics from my courses and I hadn’t. I honestly was afraid that I was going to get kicked off the group because of that. Instead, he motivated me to go back and revisit the material. That’s just one example of how I’ve fallen short of his expectations. Dr. Levin has pushed me harder than I’ve ever been pushed before and I feel that I am becoming a better student/researcher because of it. The amount of patience he has had with me has humbled me.

In research, there are many problems that don’t have a specific path that will get us to the solution. Many times we rely on building components that will help meet the specific goals we aim for. Specifically, electrical components require a deeper understanding on their functionality so that we can take advantage of their capabilities. This requires that we keep learning about such devices whenever we can. I am grateful to have the opportunity to work in the lab where I am constantly being challenged.