Galerija Kortil Blog Post #5

During my fifth week working at the gallery, we did not have as much to do because we were between exhibitions. Also, Croatia had national holidays on Friday the 22 and Monday the 25, so I had a four day weekend off of work. Rather than stay in Rijeka for this weekend, I decided at the last second that I would do some traveling, and so I looked at a couple of different places to visit. I decided to make a weekend trip to Venice; it only takes about 4 hours to get from Rijeka to Venice.

While in Venice, I stayed at a hostel. This was my first hostel experience, and it was actually really fun. Everyone is kind of in the same boat– they are all traveling in twos and threes, and they are looking to explore the city and meet new people. I am not the most extroverted person, so I was worried about having a hard time meeting people to hang out with at this hostel, but it was way easier than I expected. Most of the people came to me, and I ended up talking to  big group of people each of the three nights I was there!

Of course, during the days I did a lot of sightseeing. The roads in Venice don’t make any sense because back when the city was built, urban planning wasn’t really a thing, so I definitely got lost. I wanted to visit the Cathedral, but the lines were over three hours long, so I didn’t. I did however visit the Doge’s palace, and that was the most incredible place.

I am really happy that I had the opportunity to travel while I was in Europe. Venice is one of those places  that I have learned about in my Art History classes, so I have always wanted to see it; however, it was so full of tourists and tourist traps that it kind of stole some of the magic that I was expecting. That and the fact that I was motion sick literally the entire trip because everything is on the water.

One thought on “Galerija Kortil Blog Post #5

Hi Allison,

It sounds like you spend your four day weekend in the best way possible! Scheduling in some side trips is a great way to enhance the already incredible opportunities available when you are living abroad. I’m happy to hear you had a good time staying in a hostel and were able to meet some people! I had the same type of fear when I stayed in my first hostel, but a lot of youth hostels go to great lengths to make their spaces a good place to meet people, even if you’re not the kind of person that strikes up a conversation with random strangers 🙂 Do you have plans to go on any additional side trips this summer?

Can’t wait to hear more about your summer!

– Danielle