Blog 1 – My Summer at Yale

Hi, my name is Delaney Dahlstrom  and I am a rising sophomore at the University of Michigan. I was accepted to be a part of the team at Yale University Conferences and Events as an Operations Coordinator for the summer of 2018. I was really excited to be part of this program as I had no previous experience in the east coast or with an ivy league school. Many people ask me what being an Operations Coordinator means. Essentially, large groups come and rent out specific parts of Yale University. For example, Yale Young Global Scholars. My team works with these groups by checking them in and out and making sure they have everything they need.

I was drawn to this summer job because it was something I thought would give me experience in dealing with people from all over the world, as well as with people in conflict. I had always wanted to come to the east coast so I was also interested in being in a new place for the summer at a reputable university.

While I’m at Yale for the summer, I have the goal that I will grow, in whatever way that means. I want to create connections and hopefully make a positive impression so I ask for a letter of recommendation. I would like to explore the area and get to know New Haven, as I already realize that it’s beautiful and has so much history. One of the questions I asked in my interview was if the staff are close to each other because I was coming from Michigan and I knew no one on this side of the country. I think that it will be important for me to make friends here and lifelong connections.

I see many opportunities and challenges that could come up in this summer. I think that I could meet some amazing people both in who I work with and the people that come to stay at Yale for their programs. This job could also present challenges in conflict and disagreement from Yale and the different programs. It could also test me physically and mentally.

I look forward to what this summer has to offer. I’m happy that I’m here and I feel like I’ll never forget the memories I’ll make here.

Welcome to Yale!
Team Scavenger Hunt
I’ve met some pretty cool people so far!

One thought on “Blog 1 – My Summer at Yale

Hi Delaney! My name is Danielle LaJoie and I work in the Information Services area of the Opportunity Hub. I’ll be commenting on your blog posts during your internship at Yale this summer, I’m so excited to hear about your experience!

Congratulations on completing the first week of your internship, it looks like you’re already starting to get in the swing of things and meeting some wonderful people! Do you have any academic or future professional interests in conflict management or program management? I’d love to hear more about some of your interactions with the guests at Yale and what you might be learning from that! What kind of conflict do you anticipate running into and how do you think you would deal with it?

I’m excited to read about the kind of skills you are building throughout the summer and look forward to hearing more about the work and tasks you are doing!

Best wishes,

– Danielle