Ryan Smith Jefferies Internship – Week 3

It is hard to believe, but I am already halfway done with my summer internship at Jefferies. Due to the crazy amount of assignments I have been given, time has really flown by. For the most part, I have been very focused on one deal in the Mergers & Acquisitions group, which is where I want to end up should I return full time. In this deal, we are helping an Industrials company sell itself to a private equity firm. This company is highly sought after, so the process has been very competitive and intense. Coupled with the fact that my analyst and associate on the deal have been getting overworked, I have been able to play a very meaningful role. Although a typical day does not exist, I have been given a couple of key responsibilities related to due diligence. When a potential buyer sends in an information request about the business, I enter their question into a master tracker. If we are allowing the buyer to access that specific piece of information, I then send the data back to them. Also, I sit in on a variety of due diligence calls that center around finance, insurance, and taxes. There is no doubt that I have learned a lot from this deal, and it is clear that Mergers & Acquisitions is truly my passion in finance. I hope to be able to continue down this field in the future.

One thought on “Ryan Smith Jefferies Internship – Week 3

Hi Ryan,
    Congrats on hitting the halfway point! It’s great to hear that you’ve been enjoying your work, and the main deal you’ve been focused on. It sounds like your contributions have been key in supporting your colleagues and following through on the due diligence work. How do you determine which buyers are allowed information about the company?

You mentioned learning a lot through your work with Mergers & Acquisitions, are there specific takeaways or skills you feel you’ve most developed?

Looking forward to hearing how the deal in Mergers & Acquisitions goes and glad that you’ve identified an area within finance that you derive energy from!

Beth