End of June Update

The past two weeks have been very interesting for me. As I transitioned into the Planning and Development Department for the City of Detroit,  I’ve really been taking in the time I spend downtown. I didn’t know how much I would actually be able to explore downtown but luckily, one of my main assignments so far requires me to do so. In order to influence future policy relating to bike parking policy in Detroit, I have been walking around the downtown area identifying bike racks. A couple days ago, I attended a meeting in Northwest Detroit and concluded with a tour of some neighborhoods. It will be really interesting to track the future of some of these neighborhoods but for now, it’s high grass and abandoned buildings. I hope I learn more about the process of revitalizing not just a downtown, but also neighborhoods.

One thought on “End of June Update

Hi Adam. Thank you for sharing. Much of the narrative surrounding Detroit’s resurgence focuses on downtown, leaving out much of the underdeveloped neighborhoods that are in need. I am glad to hear that a part of your work permits you to tour and gain perspective on areas outside of the downtown corridor. Detroit represents a very unique case study for economic development as the sheer size of the city is unlike many major metro’s in the country. Learning how to scale economic development initiatives (like bike transit) into seemingly disparate neighborhoods is an interesting challenge. It is wonderful that your internship has opened the door for you to consider how those challenges can be met. I am looking forward to hearing more about your experience! – Jake