Summer Research #3

With a new protocol expected to be put into effect in the next week or two, it is really important that myself and the other undergrad in the lab are both comfortable and confident with all lab practices. I have watched the process of sample collection and processing numerous times over the past few weeks I’ve been in the lab.

Today, we had a practice sample and collection run so the scientists could watch myself and the other undergrad to evaluate our technique and determine if they were comfortable allowing us to handle real samples. I have aliquoted samples prior to this summer, and I am comfortable using a pipette. Based on prior experience with aliquoting samples and using a micropipette, I thought it would be rather simple to complete the task as expected, but I was wrong. I found it very difficult to maneuver the tools and samples and made several mistakes. Thankfully it was just a practice sample and not a real experimental one!

I clearly have a lot of learning left to do, but I am excited to gain a new skill, and I have an increased appreciation for the people who work in science and make complicated tasks seem so simple.

One thought on “Summer Research #3

Hi Kendall. Thanks for sharing! Attacking new challenges and making mistakes is all a part of the learning process during an internship. Luckily, it sounds to me like the scientists are aware of the difficulty of correctly taking samples and therefore have given you the space to practice your craft. I am glad to hear that the difficulty you experienced has provided you with an added appreciation for the work. I hope that this experience provides in the confidence to take on new challenges without fear of making mistakes. This will help you both in the classroom and professionally as you move forward. Keep up the great work and I look forward to learning more. – Jake