Work Work Work Work Work | #4

Working so far away from the western side of the world has really given me a different perspective of the world we live in. Though Australia and America share the same sun and moon, everything under it is quiet different. For starters, the Kardashians are NOT the center of the world. This is the biggest break through I have found worth mentioning. haha!  All jokes aside, I have found the work environment to be quite more lenient in Sydney  than in the states. Comparing to my previous internship in Washington D.C. this one is a lot more relaxed in the workplace. Many employees work on their own schedule and a lot of those with small children freely work from home 90% of the time, coming in only for important meetings. I know this because I am the one scheduling those meetings.  As an operations intern, I have discovered that many projects take a very long time varying from a few weeks to several months. The timeline for my project goes beyond my stay in Australia, but I have been doing a significant part of the research for it. At first when I was given a task, I would rush to get it complete and correct. But when I turned it in, I noticed there was a lag in time before I was given my next assignment. At first, I thought it might be because being an intern, there was not much work for me to do at the moment. But I noticed this was becoming a consistent pattern. Finally, I worked up the courage to ask my boss why this was the case, and could I please get more work? He explained that the work I was doing was important, but it took a while for my data to get processed. He also said that a lapse in time was pretty normal in the kind of work we were doing. Having worked in the U.S previously, my manager explained to me that Australians are usually more laid back in the workplace as a whole especially during the winter while I was there. Because the sun rises so late and sets so early (around 4-5 pm), people tend to put in less hours a day at the office. Still, I wanted to expose myself to different work and projects, and I told him this. I am glad I spoke up because my manager was therefore able to give a few more assignments and let me play around with some data he was working on. I would definitely considered myself very skilled at excel at this point.

One thought on “Work Work Work Work Work | #4

Erica, good for you for talking to your boss about not having enough work! Building up the courage to talk to your boss about something you’re not satisfied with in your job is really hard. It sounds like it really paid off, both because you learned about some cultural and work style differences that you may not have otherwise realized, and because you got a few more assignments! It sounds like your manager has been a good resource for you during your internship. Maybe this person can be a valuable mentor for you even after your internship is over.

Maggie