Almost Halfway? | #3

Wow. It’s crazy how I’ve almost been in Cleveland for half of the time (my halfway mark is July 4!) Before coming, I was ready to count down the days I would be going back home in Michigan because I really didn’t think I would enjoy my time here at all.

However, I really do enjoy this work life balance (and actually having a life unlike the time during school, lol) because I get to do so many things I want. Even though work is very up and down (I either have a lot to do or not), I don’t have any work to do once I’m home. I really like that a lot! Recently, I have been working out more after work because I realized how important it is to be healthy. Honestly, during the school year, I don’t even walk into the CCRB ever. But there’s just so much free time.

At work, I’m still working on the same project relating to consumer products on Excel spreadsheet at KeyBank. There’s so many different angles I can analyze and make conclusions for. It’s pretty interesting, overall, but I was really hoping to do something more related to statistical computing (using languages like R and SQL). But I am still learning a lot from the current project I’m doing.

Outside of work, I found a good church community so I hang out with the young adults ministry a lot during the weekend. They’re a super fun group of people to get to know and it’s pretty cool how a lot of them are medical students because I can learn so much from them. Last week, we went to a Japanese arcade (Round 1) and won a bunch of stuffed animals from the claw machines. This week, we all finally watched Incredibles 2 (which was super awesome). Even though I’m still new, everyone is so open and willing to get to know me more. I’m excited to experience life in Cleveland for several more weeks and I know I will be really sad to leave because I am having such a good experience here.

4 thoughts on “Almost Halfway? | #3

Wow! Hi, Ailun after reading your post it sounds like you’ve been having a better time adjusting to your internship and work life. It’s great that you’ve been able to balance the job but also have free time to yourself. Just focusing on work isn’t good so it’s awesome that you reached out to people outside just your circle and have been able to bond with others. Hope the next half of your internship goes smoothly and can’t wait to hear about what’s to come!

Thanks for the response, Arim! I’m excited to read more about your summer too. 🙂

Ailun, it’s so cool that you’ve been able to get to know some new people and enjoy yourself in Cleveland! I guess this is one of those times that the internship experience not being what you expected is good, since it sounds like you expected to not enjoy it.

I hear what you’re saying about statistical computing. As a Data Analyst, I’ve found that Excel is so much more widely used for data analysis than people make it seem while we’re in school. If you’re itching to get more experience with R or SQL, maybe you could suggest ways to use R or SQL that would be well applied on the project you are doing?

Have a great week!
    Maggie

Thanks for the kind response and continuing to keep up with my blog, Maggie!