Last one

My last week in my internship was a bit different than the other weeks. Given I finished all the work that was planned for me, I did some work for MOAD, the architecture side of the office. It was very enjoyable and it gave me an idea of how much of a perfectionist architects have to be.

Looking back the best part of the internship was definitely designing a brick wall pattern for a prototype of sustainable housing. It was the most architecture related task and it had a good deal of responsibility tied to it. What can I say, I work best under pressure! Outside of work, I enjoyed my Sundays of visiting two famous architecture sites with another intern. I must say I feel blessed to have met her and gotten along so well, otherwise, I’ve no idea what my weekends would have looked like.

Something completely unexpected yet amazing was that I was invited to an Indian wedding. My manager took me by surprise by inviting me and I attended both the Sangeeth as well as the wedding ceremony. It was a smaller event in comparison to the traditional Indian weddings but nevertheless, I loved the experience and the insight into the culture. I even wore a sari (had a lot of help to put it on) paired with jewelry that I borrowed from my Indian friend. It was definitely a beautiful closure to my internship that I never thought I would have had. I have one last week in India and I’m planning on doing a solo trip to Pondicherry, fingers crossed for that!

While my internship wasn’t architecture heavy, I did see what the other architecture interns were doing, and I must say it is an insane amount of hard work. Some would get to the office at 9:30 am and leave at 9 pm. While I love architecture and feel it is the major that best suits me, I’m unsure if the profession is the right path for me. Luckily, the Bachelor of Science in Architecture at Umich gives you the opportunity to pursue any design related field. While I have time to decide, I’m glad that I got to see this early on how demanding the architecture profession is.

As for personal growth, I wouldn’t say I became more independent given that happened when I moved to the States for college. Not being home for 8 whole months was definitely what pushed me to become “an adult”. This internship was more about the experience of living in a very different country, without the comfort of friends or family yet without the stress of exams and schoolwork. It was just a very unique experience with very particular factors and I’m immensely grateful to have had it.

One thought on “Last one

Hi Jesica,

Hope your trip to Pondicherry went well!

I’m glad that you were able to get a brief glimpse into life as an architecture even though your internship was focused on urban planning. This is valuable insight that can help you shape your goals moving forward! The Indian wedding sounds like a beautiful and unforgettable experience – such a great way to tie up your time in India. Having wrapped up your experience, what kind of life do you want to design for yourself in the future? It sounds like you work well under pressure in a variety of countries, and adaptable in connecting to others.

So excited to see what you will do next.

See you back on campus,
    Jenny