Seeking Influence and Determination #4

As another busy week passes, I am starting to reflect on my internship and experiences in DC. My internship and programming have been centered around social justice. During my internship, I have listened to many leaders speak about what they are doing to make the world a better place. This has made me reflect on my first year at Michigan. I have realized that I need to be doing more to help others, to help those who can’t help themselves. Thus, when I go back to school in the fall, I plan to make room in my schedule for community service and to become more aware of the issues surrounding me.

At my job, I have been continuing to work on the scheduling of the upcoming conference. Some days it has been difficult to sit at a computer and work on the same project for eight hours. Nevertheless, I realized I can switch between projects when I am bored to increase my persistence and determination. When I am bored, I tend to lose focus and make more mistakes. I also can talk short walks outside when I need a break from working at my desk. I also appreciate that my supervisor gave me more challenging tasks that would help me learn new skills. For example, I was tasked with creating a Wikipedia page for the organization.

In my program, I am developing strong friendships that I know I am going to keep when I return home. Everybody here is so kind and accepting, and we all have common interests in social justice. It has also been interesting to meet people from different parts of the country. Students come from the east coast, west coast, the south, and the Midwest like me. There are also many students who are older than me and have many interesting experiences to share. It’s nice to look to the older students for advice and guidance.

One thought on “Seeking Influence and Determination #4

Hi Scott,

It’s great to hear that you are already starting to reflect on what you’ve learned from your internship experience so far. What kind of community service are you thinking of taking up once you get back to campus?

Knowing what makes you most productive during the work day (switching up tasks, taking a walk, etc.) is so helpful, especially because you’re learning that so early! I’ve found those strategies can also work with studying. It’s wonderful that you are making so many connections with your peers! Do you have any plans in place to keep in contact with them? Connecting with them on LinkedIn could be a great way to start building your network.

I hope you enjoy your Independence Day in DC!

– Danielle