Settling In | #2

It’s been a few weeks now since I’ve started interning at an art gallery, I’m feeling more and more comfortable in my position with each day that passes. My coworkers are all wonderful people, they’ve helped me find places to go around the city of Rijeka to find anything that I may need while here, and through our exhibition work I have had the chance to talk with locals that I’ve had many interesting conversations with.

One person that sticks out is a man I met at the opening night for a photography exhibit just a few days ago. He knew the gallery’s director, and asked me and the other intern about our interests in art. This led to a discussion about what brought us to Rijeka, specifically the Kortil Gallery, our favorite artists, and many other similar topics. He had many incredible stories, as he has traveled around the world and visited many museums/galleries in various countries, but the main point in all of his stories was that he found all artistic spaces, no matter the city, were great spots in every community to draw people together. I am still thinking about my talk with this man, as his words have stuck with me, and I have been feeling more and more affirmation the longer I think about his perspective of the arts as a communal gathering point. Talking with him has greatly reinforced my decision to work in the museum/gallery field, and I’m thankful that this random encounter through my work has granted me such a strong confirmation in my academic/career goals.

One thought on “Settling In | #2

How serendipitous, Alex! How are things going in terms of projects for your internship? What’s the most interesting artwork you have come across during the art gallery?