Week #3 in Warsaw

And it’s week #3! I feel like I’ve lived here all my life and also for no time at all  it — it’s a bizarre feeling. But I am really starting to like it here. Being from New York, I always hold other cities up to close scrutiny. While Warsaw is no New York (honestly, can any city beat New York?), it has its own charm. People are laid-back and unpretentious here. Yet there’s still a bustling, city feel and there’s so many things to do!

I’m learning more about Poland and its people every day. My coworkers and my friend Julia have talked me about the strong national identity Polish people have, and how they see Poland as a moral, martyr nation that time and time again stands up to its big bad foes. Poland has struggled to survive throughout history, from its disappearance in 1795 to Germany’s invasion in 1939. I visited the Warsaw Uprising Museum today and saw many artifacts and pictures detailing one of Poland’s most famous struggles. Walking around the museum among the remnants of building ruins in glass cases, it was clear to see why this martyr sentiment is so strong. Every August 1st, the day the Uprising started, for a full minute the entirety of Warsaw stops and is silent. I’m excited to see it.

I’m also learning more and more each day at my internship. This week my boss gave me a tutorial on how to use all the recording equipment during interviews. I’m also in the middle of writing an article about the Polish alchemist dude, Sendivogius. It feels so good to write again — I hope it turns out well! Next week I’m hoping I can work more on the other podcast being developed, Unseen Warsaw. The only problem I’m having, which can barely even be classified as a problem, is that culture.pl is too flexible! I never know when I should leave each day. But I’m trying to use that flexibility to my advantage by planning fun things to do after work.

I’ve been to some more cool museums this week. Zacheta is an art museum here, and they had a fabulous exhibit, “Silence and the Will to Live,” by Japanese-Polish artist Koji Kamoji, whose minimalist and abstract style conveyed the emotions in his work in a really moving way. I also took a trip to Praga, the hipster, Williamsburg-esque, area of Poland and visited the Neon Museum, a museum showcasing its collection of Cold War-era neon signs. There was many a person posing by the signs, taking artsy pictures.

And I’ve been hitting up a lot of the parks here. They are truly beautiful — I even went to one with a sculpture garden. I figured out the citibike system here too! I want to do some biking by the river next week.

That’s all for this week, folks! Tune in next week for more Warsaw adventures!

Koji Kamoji’s piece, “The Auschwitz Stone.” You can’t see it in the picture but there’s a small stone in the middle of this work that he took after visiting Auschwitz.
A sign at the Neon Museum from an old bar named Biedronka, which means ladybug.
Me swinging on a chair at an outdoor café with Julia after visiting the Warsaw Uprising Museum. It was freezing so the workers gave us blankets 🙂
Sculpture outside the Królikarnia Museum
Park near Zacheta

6 thoughts on “Week #3 in Warsaw

Keep those blogs coming. Live hearing about your experiences

:)), will do!!!

love reading all about your experiences and will share the printout i just made with grandpa.
    love you and miss you.
    grandma

love you and miss you too <3

Hi Elizabeth!

I’m happy to hear that you’re already immersing yourself in Polish culture through all your museum visits and neighborhood excursions! It sounds like the flexible work culture has been used to your advantage. If you feel as though the ambiguity of the work day is impacting how productive you want to be, I would definitely suggest chatting with your supervisor to see if you can get any clarification. Have you been able to find any mentors at your internship so far?

I can’t wait to hear more about your adventures in Warsaw!

– Danielle

Hi Danielle!
      Sorry I didn’t respond sooner! I took your advice and have been communicating more clearly with my supervisors :). The head of audio, who’s my direct supervisor, is a great mentor. He’s been showing me the ropes and giving me great podcast recommendations.