Wrapping up | #6

I’m just about done here in Berkeley and it’s been an amazing experience. I came here with two primary objectives: To experience a  new research environment and to network here at UC Berkeley. In both of those ventures, my “internship” here exceeded my expectations. I’ve mentioned it in previous entries but Dr. Keltner made himself very available to me but he was also proactive about connecting me with graduate students which allowed me to talk methodology and research with people who are closer to where I am. Both the exposure to Keltner himself and members of his lab, as well as other faculty, served as a wonderful networking opportunity and ultimately what came of it was development in my plans for grad school.

Talking to other graduate students (1st through 6th year) about the paths they had taken to where they are now, helped me feel more informed in deciding how I’d like to move forward. Professor Keltner was a huge help in this regard as well and as a part of the social psych admission committee at Berkeley his advice was worth a lot. I’ve decided to apply to grad schools this coming December and hopefully, I’ll find myself a grad student this time next year (maybe at Berkeley!).

It’s been a blast, thanks Beth for always responding so thoughtfully. 

One thought on “Wrapping up | #6

Tyrone,
    Congrats! I can’t believe how fast your time seemed to fly by — and I really appreciate your reply on your last post! It has been a pleasure to read your posts this summer; not only are you a great writer, but so thoughtful in your reflections on what you’ve learned, and how you’ve met your goals.

I’m glad that your conversations this summer have helped to shape what your next steps will look like. Deciding to apply to graduate school is a big decision, and one that you’ve clearly thought out, researched, and weighed options. Please don’t hesitate to utilize the Hub as you work on your applications. I can’t wait to hear/see how your research and network from this summer continue to impact your next steps in Ann Arbor, and beyond!

Let me know how things go for you in the upcoming year — it’s been great to follow your path this summer, Tyrone!

Safe travels back east,
    Beth