Developmental Psychology Research: Post 1

Hi everyone, my name is Taeah and I’m a sophomore studying Biopsychology, Cognition, and Neuroscience. I currently have an internship in MSPICED (Michigan Summer in Developmental and Cognitive Early Development) for this summer at the University of Michigan Psychology Department under Dr. Henry Wellman. I’m really excited to be a part of this program because this is the first year that they have run the program and there was only a 10% acceptance rate, also, I’m one of the youngest people here. I’ve been a part of the program for over a month now and it is going really well!

In our lab, we study kids perception of non-human living beings (like dogs) and also robots. I was really interested in this opportunity because I wanted to look into a different side of psychology that I haven’t be a part of before. I love that my job consists of working with toddlers and dogs all day (and inputting data and analyzing it but that’s not as fun sounding). In addition to working in the lab and running studies, we have weekly lab meetings where we discuss research articles that pertain to our current research and talk about the future of the lab. Even more, we have weekly MSPICED meetings/seminars where we learn important things about the field (like statistics or visualizing data) and also important life things (like how to apply for graduate schools). Overall, I have learned so much thus far into my internship and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the summer holds.

One thought on “Developmental Psychology Research: Post 1

Hi Taeah! My name is Mike Joiner-Hill, and I’m a Coach Lead at the Hub. I, along with Hub Intern Peyton Sternfeld, will be following along with your blogs this summer! Looking forward to learning about your internship experience!