First few weeks…

This summer, I am interning at the U.S. Department of State in the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, Office of Multilateral and Global Affairs. I was offered my internship back in November, so it feels like it has been a long journey to this point. The above picture was taken at the Main State Department building on one of my first days working.

I was drawn to my internship because it combines two of my main academic interests. Sophomore year of college, I took a class called “Philosophy of Global Justice,” taught by Steven Ratner, a professor of international law at the Michigan Law School. We talked about human rights issues such as FGM and chemical attacks in Syria from a philosophical point of view. I became really interested in the human rights field during this class.

I became interested in multilateral affairs last summer, when I studied International Conflict Resolution in Geneva, Switzerland and London, UK. I had the opportunity to learn about and tour the UN, the International Committee for the Red Cross, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. While abroad, I became very interested in multilateral organizations.

I feel lucky to have an internship that combines my interest in human rights with my interest in multilateral affairs. I have enjoyed my first few weeks and I am excited to see what the rest of my internship holds.

One thought on “First few weeks…

Thank you for your first post, Amanda! My name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Manager at the Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer!

You mention that it feels like it’s been a long journey to get to this point, but I’m really impressed at the clarity on your academic and career interests you’ve gained throughout your time at Michigan and how you’ve been able to tie those together with this internship this summer. I’m curious to hear more in subsequent posts about what aspects of the job have been about what you expected and which have been completely surprising. I’m also looking forward to hearing more about the specific projects you’ll be working on, what skills you’ll gain from those projects and how that will contribute to you pursing your career goals!