Leadership – Post # 2

Prompt:
What are you learning about leadership from your internship experience?

Being that I am the first employee, in a way, this makes me apart of the founding team. This role comes with great responsibility and independence – requiring nothing less than a leader’s mentality.

When people hear the term “leader”, they often think of an individual who leads or commands a group. Having to adopt a leader’s mentality in my position taught me that this isn’t always the case. In fact, leaders can also be initiators, innovators, and pioneers.

Unlike internships at well-established companies, i am at liberty to modify or create foundational aspects of my company, including but not limited to: the company name, logo and website layout. With leadership in mind, i have been able to produce ideas that my boss loved and eventually adopted.

The things i’ve learned about leadership during my internship has changed my perspective forever and will greatly benefit me in my future career.

One thought on “Leadership – Post # 2

Thank you for your first posts, Kaneisha! My name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Manager at the Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer!

Wow! Just you and the founder in Amsterdam! That’s a lot to take on and from the sounds of it you’re absolutely excelling. It’s exciting to hear how this experience has already shaped your understanding of leadership from one who commands crowds to an initiator, innovator, and pioneer. There are so many ways to be a leader which you’ve learned first hand!

You mentioned in your first post that at the beginning you had a bit of imposter syndrome, but three weeks later you were feeling significantly more comfortable in your role. What changed? Or more specifically, what actions did you take in order to change your perspective on your ability to contribute? Harnessing some of that wisdom may help you in other situations where you’re feeling less than confident!

Looking forward to reading more about your experience!