Research: Week 1

Hi guys! My name is Elise, I’m an incoming senior studying economics, and am currently doing research for a professor at the University of California-Irvine for the summer. When doing my internship search, I wanted to be in SoCal because it’s a good place to have connections after graduation and also I can see myself living here (it’s so beautiful!). I emailed several professors at this university, and this professor seemed to line up very well with my interests in the field. He mainly researches trade and trade policy, and its effects on wealth distribution in developing countries, which aligns nicely with my interest in fair trade regulations and distribution of benefits. Instead of working under one of his students, he is allowing me to explore my own interests. Although he primarily has focused on tax policy outcomes on this topic, I want to learn more about fair trade and its effects. My goals for this is to explore whether a PhD program would be something I would be interested in doing in my career and to learn more about trade and trade policy. As this is still the beginning, I have been reading academic publications to learn about what needs to be researched and current findings, and after I have developed some questions, I will find data which aligns well with them. I am hoping that this application of my knowledge obtained in my major will help me in any future endeavors, even if they don’t turn out to be research oriented. I foresee that my internship will lead to a network of individuals to communicate with and to build a strong professional relationship with, which will hopefully aid in my job search for after I graduate in December.

2 thoughts on “Research: Week 1

Hi Elise!

My name is Danielle LaJoie and I work in the Information Services area of the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be reading and commenting on your blogs throughout the summer! I’m excited to read about your research experience and your exploration of SoCal!

It sounds like the professor you’re working with is really trying to encourage you to find the areas of research you are interested in. Could you see this professor becoming a mentor figure as you continue in your research experience? I am excited to hear how your initial exploration of the topic turns out. It’ll definitely be important for you to establish an open line of communication between yourself and the professor so you can get feedback and guidance throughout the summer. What kind of opportunities are thinking about for after you graduate in the winter?

I can’t wait to hear more from you this summer!

– Danielle

Hi Elise,
    My name is Beth Bodiya and I am a Hub Coach at the Opportunity Hub; I will be following your blog posts this summer as well and can’t wait to hear how your internship goes. I can sense your enthusiasm, as you dive into the first few weeks!

Thanks for sharing about the start to your internship! It sounds like you did a great job pursuing your interests and taking the initiative to reach out to professors to secure an internship of interest. How are you liking SoCal so far? Have you had the opportunity to do a bit of exploring?

Great plans on using your time to build a network, explore what you’d like to do next, and apply your academic knowledge to your research this summer! Will you have the opportunity to chat with PhD students at UC-Irvine, or with professors about their path to/through graduate school?

How are you liking the autonomy from the professor you’re working with? It sounds very encouraging to have the ability to determine where you’d like your summer research to take you!

I look forward to hearing about the research questions you develop (often one of the hardest parts!)
    Beth