So Far, So Good | #2

It’s been three full weeks since I started my internship as a Sales and Account Management Intern at News America Marketing in NYC, and so far, so good. The first two days of the internship consisted of intense orientation sessions with multiple presentations on internal systems, the proposal process, and shark tank team assignments and research. Interns at other NAM branches traveled to my building for the orientation sessions, so it was nice to meet and get to know them a bit over the course of those first two days. Following orientation, we had our first “real” day at work on Wednesday and I was assigned to the digital team within the sales department. The digital department handles all advertising campaigns that are accessible via mobile phones, laptops, tablets, and other electronic devices. Such campaigns include targeted emails and banners on web pages.

As the digital team intern, my first assignment was to compile a database of prior digital ad campaigns. To do so, I pulled various examples of past campaigns from saved PowerPoints and put them into one giant PowerPoint organized alphabetically by category (i.e. Babies & Kids, Household Products, Snacks). This task proved to be slightly daunting since there were so many examples to pull (the final PowerPoint was more than 400 slides!), but I know the finished product is now an extremely valuable tool for the digital team members since they’ll be able to reference past campaigns when designing new campaigns for clients.

Outside of work, I’ve been able to spend time with friends who are also in the city and was even fortunate enough to escape to Connecticut yesterday with a few friends to ride out the 100-degree weather with a boat day in the Long Island Sound. Besides being with friends, my family was also able to fly out to NYC to visit me a couple weekends ago. While they were here, we went to the Met, saw the School of Rock Broadway show, experienced the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, and of course, ate a lot of delicious food. Overall, I’ve really enjoyed my time in the city so far and am excited for my next assignment from the digital department!

One thought on “So Far, So Good | #2

Hi Nicole! It sounds like you’re really diving head first into your internship. It’s great to hear how hands on you are with the work and the initiative you’ve taken is excellent.

That does sound like a really big job having to catalog and compile all the prior digital ad campaigns, kudos to you for being able to handle it so well and pulling it off with aplomb. It seems like you’ve created a really valuable tool for your team as they’ll be able to reference the Powerpoint going forward.

Glad to hear that you’re also getting some time outside of work to experience the city as well as hangout with family and friends. Keep up the great work! I look forward to hearing more!