A Learning Curve | #2

With two weeks under my belt and a strange holiday breaking up the current week, time is really flying by in Chicago. My manager will be out for the next two weeks which is both stressful and relaxing. It’s nice to not have to worry about constantly trying to impress him, but it’s also difficult to not have someone guiding me. I still have several other team members around to ask questions, and I’m hoping to use this time to network and get to know others in my department.

I have some defined tasks to complete while he’s out, but they seem a little like filler work that doesn’t carry much value. Nonetheless, I am learning so much. Perhaps that’s just the nature of an internship: not much important work, but a lot of learning. Day to day, it doesn’t feel like I’m really  absorbing that much, but looking back over the past two weeks, I have gained an absurd amount of knowledge in so many different aspects. I’ve learned about working in a professional setting, networking and communicating, about agile software development and back-end frameworks, investing,  401(k)s, mutual fund research, and even about the downsides of public transportation.

Drifting away from my professional life, I am loving the social aspect of Chicago. Being one of five children and having lived the past two years in Ann Arbor in a house with 6 other people, I am very used to constant interaction. Before moving, I was worried that I would struggle to make friends or find people to hangout with. This couldn’t be further from the truth. In my sublease apartment, I have 2 very friendly and fun roommates that are always willing to chat. I have also been hanging out with the other interns at my company and realized that they are all just as new to this as I am. Additionally, I’ve had the chance to hang out with friends from school who are from Chicago or now live here.  It’s almost hard to find time to be alone. I’m looking forward to celebrating the fourth and enjoying the proximity to Lake Michigan.

One thought on “A Learning Curve | #2

Hi Lia,

It’s wonderful to hear that you are already learning so much! I’m interested to hear about how the next week will go as your supervisor will be out of the office. It will definitely help to have your other coworkers around to help answer any of your questions! How do you think you’ll begin networking with your other coworkers?

I love your thoughts on finding the skills you are learning even while it doesn’t feel like you’re moving mountains in your day to day work. This blog could be a great place to capture some of the learning you are experiencing, so when the internship is over and you are starting to write a resume entry you’ll have a place to reflect on some of those skills. That’s awesome that you’ve been able to build a friendship network with both your roommates, coworkers, and college friends! I can’t wait to hear about Chicago during the 4th of July, I’m sure it was amazing!

I hope you enjoyed your holiday!

– Danielle