Is It What I Expected? | #2

• How has your internship differed from your beginning expectations? How has it been similar? Has anything surprised you about your internship?

Coming into this internship I had no idea what to expect. The job description when I applied was very vague and everything happened so quickly I did not have time to even really think about it. Based off of the job title, which was all I had to go off of, I figured I would somehow be working with the programming of the network and I hoped and prayed I would see a production set. Unfortunately here at the Silver Springs office of TV One, there is not a production set so that did not happen. But,  fortunately for me, I get to work right up under the executive producers of all of their shows!! Though I do not get to be on set, I still get to have valuable input on the material in both pre and post production which I did not expect. This has given me an opportunity to see first hand what it looks like to be a producer for a TV network and help decide if it is a role I can see myself in one day. So far I love it, but maybe for later in my career. Right now I really see myself more involved in the creative aspects of the show and definitely on set a lot more. Some of the producers in the LA office get to do this a lot more often than they do here so that is also something I keep in consideration.

One thing that surprised me was the perks that the interns got by working here! In the second week of being here, I was able to attend the premiere screening of a new show airing on TV One called We’re the Campbells where the stars of the show actually attended as well!! It was very exciting for me and I was very happy to attend my first of many premieres! I also got my name entered in the credits of a movie that I helped work on!!

One thought on “Is It What I Expected? | #2

Hi! I’m Zane Harding and I am an intern with the LSA Opportunity Hub. I am very excited to be following your blog posts throughout the summer.

It is great to hear that you have gained both experiences in programming and administrative work this summer. It is so nice to gain experience with answering phone calls and attending meetings now instead of being completely new to it later on. Additionally, it is so cool to hear that you are gaining experience in the world of television seeing that it is a major interest of yours.

I’m sorry to hear that you did not get to see a production set as you imagined, but the fact that you worked under executive producers is so exciting! I am glad that you have done impactful work there, as well. You can literally say that you have been credited in a movie before!

I’d love to know more about the creative aspects of a show that you would like to participate within. You mentioned that you would enjoy that and on-set work more, but I would love to hear what specifically appeals to you about that. Keep up the great work!