Week 4 / Switching Roles

This post is a bit late, now being week 5, but Sam and I switched roles in Kiuchi Brewery on week 4 last week. I used to be on Transfer Team, responsible for cleaning tanks and, well, transfering the beer between tanks. I dealt with a lot of dangerous cleaners and had to take apart parts of the tanks. Now, I’m part of Kegging team, where I clean the kegs using machines and good old elbow grease. We use what the brewery calls ‘Oxy’, an acid whose proper name I forget, and sterilize everything. I have to hook up pressurized lines to kegs to fill them. While the kegs are being filled, I pump carbon dioxide into the tanks to keep the pressure the same and ensure quick fillings. Once the kegs are filled, I transfer the lines to a new set of kegs, carry the kegs over to get the beer rinsed off and then the mouths sterilized again before they’re capped. Then the entire set-up gets put into a machine to get the lines washed between different beer types. It involves a lot of heavy lifting, with weights up to 31 kilograms per keg on the more hefty kegs. I can easily see why Sam was so exhausted in the prior weeks after work.

In other news, Sam and I went to Tokyo again and saw a Tokyo Giants game and also climbed the Sky Tree. We almost went onto the wrong bus home since I misunderstood the bus line employee but we made it home just in the nick of time.

One thought on “Week 4 / Switching Roles

Hi Kyle,

My name is Danielle and I work in the information services area of LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be reading and commenting on the rest of your blogs this summer!

I’m so happy to hear that you’re enjoying your internship so far and that you’ve been able to learn some valuable skills while doing something you enjoy. Your responsibilities sound very interesting and I’m glad that you’ve been able to switch it up by working with both the transfer and kegging team.

It’s wonderful that Raj has been able to become such a great mentor for you while you are in Japan. Now that your internship is winding to a close over the next few weeks, do you have any plans for how to stay in contact with Raj once you leave? Adding him on LinkedIn or remembering to write down his contact information could help in building your professional network. Is brewing something you are considering sticking with once the internship is over? I’m interested to hear what originally peaked your interest in this internship.

Looking forward to reading more from you!

– Danielle