Shipping Up to Boston | #1

I’ve grown up in Michigan, gone to school in Michigan, vacationed in Michigan and have never left the state for more than a week. Today marks my first week in a new city — Boston — where I’ll be spending the next eight weeks working with a University, and I couldn’t love it more.

Boston is one of the most amazing cities for companies and schools alike, and as a result, experiences and opportunities. As someone who is interested in pursuing a career working with a university’s athletic department, Boston has turned out to be a phenomenal place for me to gain experience for this career path. The city is crawling with fans of a million different sports teams, and sports in general, and this internship has really expanded my idea of what to look for in a career.

This opportunity has a learning curve to it — I’ve only ever worked for single sports teams, never an athletic department as a whole — which is part of the reason why I thought this internship would be such a great experience. Specializing in a specific sports field is good, but having the general knowledge of knowing how to run an entire communications department, work with other Division I schools and balance 40-something teams are all things that can really benefit how I do any sports communications job in the future.

I’m so excited to work with new sports and see how this opportunity will help shape my skills for the future. And, as much as I love and miss the great state of Michigan, I can’t wait to see Boston for all it has to offer with sports, experiences and opportunities!

One thought on “Shipping Up to Boston | #1

I am so glad to hear that you are having a great start to your internship in Boston, Delaney! I grew up near Boston and have family there, so I can completely identify with the charm that Boston has and the absolute fanaticism with which its sports fans follow their teams! It is also great to hear that you are taking this summer as an opportunity to try out living someplace new–that can be a really fulfilling experience and give you a renewed appreciation for Michigan, both good and bad.

It sounds like the opportunity to work for an entire athletic department rather than just one team is one that you are relishing. I’d encourage you to consider how you think those two roles might be different, and then compare at the end to see which of your hunches were and were not accurate. I’d also encourage you to consider having a preliminary discussion with your supervisor about your goals, and to be very explicit in having this conversation. That will help ensure that you get the best possible experience out of this internship!