#4 / Halfway Done

As I approach the halfway point of my internship, I have continued to build upon my experiences in Washington D.C. Last week, I was able to attend a Center for American Progress event with Senator Corey Booker, where he was featured on a panel that discussed drug and criminal justice reform. Criminal justice reform is one of my main interests, and having the opportunity to see Senator Booker, a chief proponent of reform, speak about the subject was both interesting and inspiring. I was also able to meet up with a man who previously worked under Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, and who now is a nonprofit executive doing work in the higher education field, in order to ask for questions and advice based on his previous experiences. This was another exciting opportunity for me, as I walked away with some new perspectives and ideas for my goals upon graduation. During the past week, I also finished the first drafts of my research, which was circulated to member organizations ahead of an upcoming working group meeting. The opportunity to compile new research and learn how to effectively communicate the findings has been an extremely important experience for me, as it is work that I feel closely replicates the work that I will be taking part in upon graduation of which few college courses offer. Overall, the internship is continuing to be an invaluable experience, and I look forward to continuing to dive into my interests and taking advantage of what this city has to offer.

3 thoughts on “#4 / Halfway Done

Noah, that’s awesome that you have had these really valuable experiences and have been able to identify some goals and new perspectives. What are they? I’m really curious to hear! I’d also be so interested to hear what you’re thinking about how you might accomplish these goals.

Hi Maggie! The internship has really expanded my short and long-term goals, but the most impact has been had on my post-graduation goals. Through talking to different people in both the education and criminal justice fields, I have learned about many entry-level opportunities such as certain Americorps programs, fellowships, and investigator positions with public interest law organizations.

That’s awesome! I’m glad that your internship has helped you to learn about these opportunities!