Galerija Kortil Blog Post #6

The second to last week of my internship in Croatia, and it was totally busy. The exhibition that we had at the beginning of the week was composed of final projects from this year’s graduating students from the Academy of Applied Arts in Rijeka. Out of all the student works’ exhibited in our gallery, we selected a few for another exhibition in a gallery on an island called Baska. I chose the works, along with my supervisor before the other intern, Alex arrived in Croatia. Alex is a museum studies student, and in the museum studies program at U of M, they teach you how to use this program called sketch up that allows you to create an online replica of the gallery, and move the pieces of art around in the space. It’s a really cool program. So, after we had chosen the works, I worked with Alex to come up with how the works should be arranged within the gallery space, and he translated that into this program. Last week, we actually went and set up the exhibit in Baska.

We also had another exhibition to install in Kortil. It was a black and white photography contest. Jolanda was sent a total of 300 photos taken by 60 different artists. She asked me to choose 101 photos out of these 300 to be exhibited in the gallery. The only rule was that I had to pick at least one photograph from each artist. This was really cool because I essentially chose all of the pieces that would be exhibited within the gallery. On top of that, I came up with how the pieces would be arranged in the gallery. It seems like a minor thing, but I was basically in charge of this entire exhibition, which was totally cool.

On another note, Croatia has made it to the final 8 in the World Cup! Everyone here is going crazy over that, and it is a super fun environment!

One thought on “Galerija Kortil Blog Post #6

Hi Allison,

This is such an exciting blog post! It sounds like you have learned some really important skills and got to work on some fantastic projects during this internship. You should be super proud of yourself for basically directing an entire exhibit! Do you have any plans in place for how to stay connected with your supervisor or other people you might have met during the internship? Adding them on LinkedIn or making sure to keep their contact information is a great way to build up for professional network. This also might be a good time to start thinking about what kinds of skills you’ve learned and how they might translate into a resume entry once you’ve returned home. I hope you’re enjoying all the fun in Croatia now that they are in the top 8!

Best wishes!

– Danielle