Home is where the heart is (#2)

I’ve truly found a home away from home living in Washington, D.C. As a member of the Public Service Intern Program, I get to live in apartment-style housing with 15 other Michigan students. This community has brought Michigan, my first home away from home, to D.C., a new place I get to call my home. I am surrounded by curious, intelligent, vibrant individuals who are interested in exploring D.C. and taking in all that it has to offer. Every night I get to come home and cook dinner with my house mates, watch TV, talk about my day at work and experiences, and get to hear about the stories of other peoples internships. When I walk through the door, I feel like I’m coming home. In addition, D.C. has welcomed me and made me feel right at home. There is an abundance of things to do every day. There are so many wonderful museums and monuments, and the city itself represents so much history and culture. I’ve made a bucket list of things left to do in D.C., but it’s impossible to see everything and every day I am reminded of something new I want to experience before the summer ends.

D.C. is a city full of self-starters, people who care about the world around them and truly believe they can make a difference. Everyone is full of opinions and ideas and loves to share them. At home, I get to hear the perspectives of 15 other students who work at 15 different places in D.C. and have 15 different world views. At work, I get to learn from my bosses and their experiences as young adults and how they got to where they are now. On the weekends and at night I get to experience the city itself. We live a mile away from the Lincoln Memorial, and at night it’s a great place to people watch, to see all the tourist and all the locals join in one location to appreciate the history of the USA. Even when people don’t agree on policies, we can all agree that we’re lucky to be here.

2 thoughts on “Home is where the heart is (#2)

Thank you for your first posts, Sarah! My name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Program Manager at the Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer!

I’m so excited to hear that your internship has been able to spark not just an interest and energy for engaging further in politics, but has allowed you to take a strength you know you possess – communication – and use that to develop an identity around what you’re passionate about. That’s huge! And I’m so glad that you’ve found that here in DC!

I also really loved hearing about the community you’re building in DC with your PSIP cohort! Finding purpose in both work and life outside work can sometimes be difficult – but it seems like you’ve struck a really great balance!

Can’t wait to hear more!