Why did I Join MSPICED? #1

Oops! I’ve been at this internship for about a month now and this is only my first post, sorry! However, I did want to wait a while before posting since I usually need time to reflect on what I’ve learned and the experiences I’ve had as this is my first internship ever. After finishing my Freshman year at U of M, the part of my year that I was most grateful for was the opportunity to be a research assistant for Dr. Kristan Marchak in the Conceptual Development Lab. This position helped me to decide that research was the path I wanted to take for my time here in Michigan. So, obviously when my lab was offering a summer internship position I couldn’t refuse! Even though I had worked in this lab for the past year, I knew that the summer would be a new opportunity to learn about the field of research and further my experience in a familiar work space.

The program MSPICED (Michigan Summer Program in Cognition & Early Development) had a lot to offer when I first applied. This would be a combined program with three different labs working together to provide an interactive and intensive research opportunity for undergraduates who are eager to gain knowledge in the lab! I have been working in the Conceptual Development Lab with Dr. Kristan Marchak on the project I helped out in during the school year. We have been working on what children learn when learning about characteristics in animals and seeing if a cognitive concept called Over-hypothesis is used during this process. MSPICED has been great because not only am I working with the lab members who taught me so much about the field during my school year, but also there are many new interns from all over the country who have come to work in the lab. Talking and working with my fellow interns has given me the opportunity to discuss topics and varying research backgrounds that I have never thought of before. They have been really helpful and understanding to me since I have only had one year of research experience and still have much to learn. The rest of this summer already feels like there will be much to absorb and digest and I cannot wait!

3 thoughts on “Why did I Join MSPICED? #1

Hello, Arim. My name is Jake Albers with the LSA Opportunity Hub. I will be reading and responding to your blog posts during your internship period. Thank you for sharing! I am glad to hear that you have been able earn an internship that is an extension of your existing work with the Conceptual Development Lab. Furthermore, it is fantastic that you recognize the value of your internship peers during your internship period. Understanding and learning from diverse perspectives within the work place is helpful to not only your professional growth; but your personal growth as well. Some day you will be the ‘seasoned’ veteran in the lab and you can pass along your expertise to the younger interns. I look forward to learning more about your experience. Keep up the great work! – Jake

Hey Arim! Thanks for sharing about your blog! I will also continue to keep up with it because it seems like you’re doing something really interesting.

sharing about your internship** oops, lol