Post no. 3: Intersectionality in the Workplace

We all have many individual identities (personality, hobbies, etc.) and group identities (race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, ability, religious/political affiliations). Please reflect on a part of your identity that you are seeing or feeling in a different light.

My interest in campaigns and politics in general largely spawned from my strong identity as a Democrat. I didn’t think about how my other identities played a role in this work until I had already started. 2018 has been especially critical in shaping my identity given the wave of female activism in response to a Trump presidency. There are female candidates up and down the ticket this cycle. 8 or the 9 democratic state house candidates within our district are women. Many of the indivisible groups that began in the wake of 2016 were started by women. It has been heartening and refreshing to see women taking center stage, and made me realize how underrepresented women are in politics in general. I view these female leaders – especially the candidate I work for- as role models now. The experience has redefined my identity as a women, and I better understand the hardships that female leaders can face – we are often depicted as either not qualified or too shrill and emotional to be in charge. I have a renewed commitment to electing female candidates and look forward to what the future will hold. 

Working on campaigns also made me reconsider my SES identity. Hearing the challenges of so many in the district made me come to terms with my own privileges. Though many of my concerns parallel those of voters we talked to, each individual’s problems were nuanced and so very personal. I feel this campaign will leave me with more humility than when I started with, and I will be better to not take my privileges for granted.