Portugal- Week 6

This week consisted of a slight shift in my schedule- instead of having to teach at 10, I now go to class at 9. It is interesting being back in the position of the student after teaching for a month. It’s really nice to not worry about being prepared for class- at least as the teacher. I took a placement test to be put in the correct level for the Portuguese course and I was placed into the B2 level which is higher than I expected. The first days seemed really challenging and I struggled to understand the instructors but I think I am catching on. There are a wide variety of students from different countries in my course and I am the only one from the US. I’m really excited about this and I think that I will learn a lot from others’ perspectives. The course focuses a lot on Portuguese history, literature, and culture and I believe that I will learn a lot over the course of the month. I feel uneducated compared to the other students because they already appear to know a bit about Portuguese culture but I’m not familiar with it. However, I think that I will learn a lot by the end of the month.