About Internship and Goals Blog #1

This summer I am working at a bank. I was initially drawn to this internship because I enjoyed following the financial markets. I thought that working in a bank would give me a better understanding of how capital markets function. Some goals I have set for myself this summer has been to talk to as many people in as many different parts of the bank as possible to better understand how banks as a whole function. I also want to determine which division of the bank may be the best fit for me, or if banking as an industry if something I am interested in full-time. Overall, I’m hoping to gain a deeper understanding of the financial markets and to learn more about what I do and don’t like in a job so I can make the best decision for myself come full-time recruiting.

2 thoughts on “About Internship and Goals Blog #1

Thank you for your first posts, Cassandra! My name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Program Manager at the Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer!

You laid out some great goals for your internship this summer in your first post and it was fun to read that the culture of your firm will facilitate one of them – networking with various members of the bank! It was also very interesting to learn that banking involves a lot more writing than you anticipated! How do you feel that you’re balancing the analytical vs. communication aspects of your job?

Looking forward to learning more in subsequent posts!

I think that the analytical part of this job isn’t difficult at all. It’s important to enjoy and be comfortable with numbers and basic arithmetic, but I think that’s the extent to which the analytical skills need to be there. The communication is more difficult, and I think banks should emphasize this more so as to attract more liberal arts students, and that it’d also be to their benefit to attract people who know how to synthesize information and write well, etc.

That being said, I think an econ degree has worked out well for me because I’ve taken several more quantitative classes while also taking lots of other liberal arts classes which have forced me to write, so I’m happy with how I’m able to balance it all.