Finding My Own Path #3

I expected my internship to be very regimented. While I knew I was interning at an ad agency, I had no idea about the degree of freedom I would have to pursue passion projects. During most of my days, I am added to meetings I attend with my manager to get an understanding of her responsibilities as an HR manager. On top of this, I have been assigned several long-term activities to work on. These are more structured reports which I am responsible for pulling data on. I have multiple weeks to work on these assignments as I will have to present my findings to the entire HR team.

However, even while attending meetings with my manager, assisting her on day-to-day assignments, and working on my summer long activities, I still often have empty space in my schedule. Digitas allows me to use that free time as I see fit. Thus, I have made it my mission to learn as much as I can about the organization and the advertisement industry as a whole. I spend at least 20 minutes a day reading news articles from AdWeek and keeping up with the latest reports on Digitas’ website.

The best thing I have noticed is my ability to work with fellow interns on projects that are our own. I have worked with 3 other interns on two separate projects. One is a weekly newsletter featuring different interns each week. Another is an intern recruitment video. We are currently in the process of recording our office space and several office events to plan an end-of-summer video of our experience. This past week, we also made plans to storyboard our video. After realizing that audio would be the most troubling component of making a video, as we do not have access to high quality equipment, we have decided to make a voiceover throughout the entire video. Thus, we have begun strategically planning scenes we want to have included as well as thinking of ideas for the script of the video. Once this is complete, we will reach out to other interns and ask them to act out or imagined scenes. Our ultimate hope is that we will create a fun, informative video that highlights the perks of this internship for future intern classes. This was ultimately created to help the HR & Recruitment department source the best talent, as college students are becoming more and more picky about where they intern.

2 thoughts on “Finding My Own Path #3

Hi, Pasquale. What a great opportunity to not only shadow your manager but to also work on different projects with other interns. During your daily 20 minutes of news, having you learned anything about the organization that surprised you?

Hi Samantha,

I have, I learned about Digitas’ connection to its “sister” agencies within the entire Publicis network in our building. I also discovered that some clients actually partner with Digitas and another sister agency (i.e. Starcom) to take advantage of the “power of One” model where each organization works together to present the best strategy.