Interacting with Modern Olynthians | #2

Nea Olynthos is a small village with one small grocery store, a handful of tavernae, and numerous kind people. The group of archeologists I’m with and I eat at this local taverna at least six times a week. The owners, a married couple, are very nice and accommodating. They have beautiful twin babies who we can interact with. By going to this taverna on a regular basis, I also see many of the same faces each night. The taverna is particularly popular right now because the World Cup is going on. The Greek people I have interacted with are very sweet and charming people. They smile and say “hello” as I pass.

There are also young people I have been able to connect with as a student or as a person. I met a local who lives in England now at the Olive Festival in the city. I chatted with a local girl who works on the beach I frequent. However, the language barrier can make connection a little trickier. I am trying to pick up the language as much as possible and many Greek people have made an effort to communicate in English if possible. Yet, I still have some new Facebook friends from my first two weeks.

I even made a new furry friend! 

2 thoughts on “Interacting with Modern Olynthians | #2

Alyssa,
    Nea Olynthos sounds like a typical Greek town – full of delicious local food, friendly community members, and the know-everyone vibe! Is the community used to the archaeologist group being there, or is that new this summer? Are there other ways you hope to engage with the local community? That’s great that you’ve been able to get to know the family who owns the taverna!

I’m glad you’ve had the opportunity to connect with other young people in the area. Understandable that the language barrier can be challenge, especially in a smaller community; that can be tough and sometimes isolating. What are some strategies that you’ve been using to learn the language?

I’m curious, what are some of your goals for the internship this summer? (around history, archaeology, learning about a new culture, living abroad, etc)

Can’t wait to hear more!
    Beth

Beth,
      The group has been coming since 2014 I believe so the town is used to archeologists for the six week season. We actually have been going to the local festivals in town so we can engage with the local culture. Just by walking through town, we can interact with the community through saying hi or supporting local businesses. I try to listen as much as possible to pick up on the language and just by practicing it myself with the locals.
      My goals are to find my specific interests in archeology, figure out a little bit more about Ancient Greek history, and to connect with the local community on a level that is helpful for both of us.