Starting at Merit Network | #1

This  will be my second summer at Merit Network’s HQ in Ann Arbor, MI! Merit Network is the non-profit ISP (internet service provider) for most Michigan universities; including the University of Michigan. I am very happy to be working here again with some old (and new) faces.

This summer I will be primarily focusing on measuring and interpreting data from Merit’s Internet Routing Registry (IRR). This database contains information analogous to ‘directions’ that help internet traffic get from place to place. I will be working with several of the network engineers and my own research mentor to assess the completeness and accuracy of Merit’s Internet Routing Registry. I’m looking forward to this project for a few reasons. Primarily, it will help me to develop a proficiency in Python programming, Shell scripting, as well as Git, and the Unix command line. Moreover, I will be tasked with reading several academic papers that discuss similar issues such as the Border Gateway Protocol and the effectiveness of other companies’ IRRs. Once the project begins coming to an end, I will likely also write up a short report discussing our findings and possible future work. Beyond that, there are a few other projects we are currently considering. These include an analysis of embedded, internet-connected devices (IoT devices) using Censys.io. This sort of analysis would be especially useful for me because it would incorporate many security-oriented topics that I will be studying this fall (EECS 388). In all, I am looking forward to gaining new, technical skills as well as getting to know my other co-workers better and forging new friendships! I think it’s going to be a good summer 🙂

One thought on “Starting at Merit Network | #1

Hi Owen,

Sorry for the delayed response! Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. I really enjoyed reading it. I am so happy to hear things are going very well for you at the Merit Network. I am also happy to hear that you are returning for a second summer and have familiarity with the organization.

It sounds you will be involved in many important tasks this summer and that you will work closely with some network engineers and research mentor. This will be a wonderful opportunity for you. Also, I’m happy the tangible experience that you’ll be getting will help you gain more proficiency in a number of programming software. It does sound like you’ll get a well rounded experience with reading the academic papers and synthesizing your findings. Will you be able to present this to you colleagues before the end of your internship?

You’re going to have a busy summer at the Merit Network with a variety of exciting tasks and projects. I think what makes this important is this experience will be valuable for your EECS 388 course. So exciting! I’m looking forward to hearing more about your experience at the Merit Network.