How I Knew I Wanted to Work at a Startup | Week 1

When most people learn I am an economics major, they assume I have an internship in finance or investment banking. While the majority of my classmates do work at traditional, big name companies, I decided I want to try something different. Before deciding on my current job, I worked on political campaigns and so I knew I wanted something with high social impact and a grassroots movement. This led me to consider startups: they are the perfect place to use analytical/business skills while still making a difference in the world. Luckily, I was accepted to the Entrepreneurship Leadership Program (ELP). Through the program, I was able to bridge my skills from economics with my skills from political campaigns in order to prepare for internship recruitment. One of our assignments had us looking at the early reports of LinkedIn. In this exercise, we looked at variable and fixed costs and were able to see how such a tech-giant fared in terms of economies of scale. It was a direct application of my economics material! In another exercise, we had to reach out to various people involved in startups: the founders, customers, employees, etc. This was similar to the cold calls I made while working on political campaigns.

While recruiting for a job might not always be fun, ELP made the process easy and exciting. I loved learning about new companies and talking to people that are passionate about what they are working on. The company I work for is called Kids on 45th. Most kids quickly outgrow their clothes and taking a trip to the store isn’t always an option for parents. Kids on 45th offers seasonal subscription boxes to parents to get gently-used clothes delivered to their door. Our boxes are the most eco-friendly, inexpensive, easiest way for parents to buy clothes. One of our best features is the ability to customize the quantities you receive, so if you already own a bunch of pants for this season- you can skip them! A lot of the current boxes on the market don’t allow parents to customize their quantities and total to $100+, whereas our average cost is $52. The subscriptions boxes are relatively new for the company. Kids on 45th is also a retail location in the Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle that has been around for 30 years. My boss, Elise Worthy (CEO & Founder), bought the store a year ago and started the subscription boxes in January. It has been amazing meeting customers who have been shopping at Kids on 45th since the early days and now the store has an online presence!

I’m excited to see where this takes me!

One thought on “How I Knew I Wanted to Work at a Startup | Week 1

What an exciting internship position that you have secured, Natalie! How interesting that this organization makes door-delivery possible for parents who otherwise might not be able to afford it. It is also great that you have the opportunity to report to the CEO and Founder of the organization. That’s an incredible connection to make, and I’d encourage you to make the most of it and ensure that it continues after you complete this internship.