Professionally Developing and Reflecting #5

With only a week left in DC, I am starting to reflect on my time in DC, and I have been thinking about what’s short-term and long-term goals. I have updated my resume and created a Linkedin. Even though I didn’t love the work I was doing at my internship, I was still able to use my experience to determine what I do and don’t want in a full-time job. For example, I have realized that I do not want a job in which I am sitting at a desk from 9-5. After reflecting on my experience, I have started to adjust my career goals appropriately.

On Wednesday, I spent Fourth of July in the nation’s capital for the first time. I spent the morning at a potluck brunch with some friends. And in the evening, we went around the national mall to see the fireworks. I had also attended the dress rehearsal of “A Capitol Fourth” the night before. This was a concert that featured many celebrity singers. It was cool to be around all the buildings that contained the history of independence day.

I am starting to think about heading home. While I am excited to be back in my town, I am sad to leave the friends I have made in my program. However, I know that I can stay in touch with the click of a button. Also, there are two students here who also attend Michigan. So, it will be pretty easy to see them at school.

One thought on “Professionally Developing and Reflecting #5

Hi Scott,

It’s so great to hear about the lessons you’ve learned from your internship! Especially now that you’ve started to think about what you do and don’t want out of a future internship or career opportunity. Congrats on updating your resume and creating your LinkedIn! That’s a great step after finishing up your summer.

I’m glad you had a good 4th of July! I love Capital Fourth, that’s cool that you got to see the dress rehearsal! It’s definitely bittersweet to be thinking about heading home after you’ve had such a great summer in DC, but keeping in touch won’t be too hard and I’m you’ll be back to visit some day.

The Hub is 100% here to support you in talking about your internship experience and crafting the best resume or cover letter, so feel free to stop by Hub drop-in hours throughout the fall to chat with one of our Hub coaches or give us a call to set up a virtual appointment! You can find more information about drop-in hours here: https://lsa.umich.edu/opportunityhub/students/drop-in-hours.html

Best wishes!

– Danielle