Blog Post #3 – 16 Offices, 30 Interns, A Thousand Women

I adjusted more quickly than I thought I would. I learned respective form names and purposes, and what had to be done for each. For the most part, they weren’t that long or tedious, but I learned to review them meticulously. Interns were split up into five or so groups, each with a supervisor in charge of them.

I learned that we were the main headquarter office of Mil Mujeres, with a total of 16 offices across the country, and one in Colombia. Our team, called the National Applications Team (NAT), were the last checkpoint of these application and application materials before they were sent off to an organization called United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A separate entity from ICE, USCIS receives applications for legal status adjustments from nonimmigrants and processes them accordingly. Our jobs were to be our clients’ legal representatives; on their behalf, we would draft forms, addendums, and declarations to prepare their applications to USCIS.

As interns, we started off assembling U-Visas, which are a type of visa intended to promote reporting of crimes (i.e. domestic violence, sexual assault, felonious assault) among those without legal status. These visas are handed out to those that prove that they were assault in some ways, going hand-in-hand with a bill passed during the Clinton administration called the Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (VAWA). This bill was also intended to help victims of violence report their crimes to the police. I had done some research regarding the type of work Mil Mujeres did, but the actual assembling was definitely an adjustment. Though it definitely took some getting used to, I truly enjoyed the work; my detail-oriented self was definitely coming into play, and it was only a plus that I would be helping victims of violence report their crimes and help them on their journey to be of legal status.

One thought on “Blog Post #3 – 16 Offices, 30 Interns, A Thousand Women

Hi Sophia, my name is Peyton and I am an intern at the Hub. I will be following your blog this summer and have enjoyed reading about your experiences at Mil Mujeres and living in Washington D.C.
    It is clear that in the time from first moving to Washington D.C. to this post that you have become much more comfortable in the city along with the work you are doing at the firm. Despite feeling overwhelmed at first with the immigration jargon, you took the time to learn and are now thriving in the National Applications Team. You mentioned in an earlier post that you are unsure about your career path post-college, but you do have a career interest in immigration law. It may be helpful to make a coaching appointment at the Hub where they can help you figure out what you want to do professionally.

I look forward to reading more about the important and impactful work you are doing at the firm.