Arrival and Expectations | #1

When I started looking for internship opportunities for this summer, I knew I wanted to go somewhere new and exciting. I figured it doesn’t get more new and exciting than a completely new country. I decided I wanted I wanted to go to Ireland to explore my family roots while gaining work experience.

For the next six weeks, I will be interning at Frank Buttimer and Company, one of the country’s most well-known law firms. While the firm does a little bit of everything, it has a high volume of criminal cases. Having previous experience at a public defender’s office working with a child welfare lawyer, I knew I wanted to learn more about criminal defense as a possible future career field.

I am excited to see how the Irish legal system compares to the American one that I have started to learn about. While I am flooded with excitement, I also foresee some possible challenges as I begin my role as a legal intern. One challenge I foresee is not being able to understand people in office, clients, etc. While I don’t have to worry about a complete language barrier, Cork, the city I am working in, is known across the country for having thick and unique accents. I am sure after spending a few days in the city I will get a hang of the accents and at the end of six weeks, I’ll have no problem understanding anyone!

Outside of my internship, I am also nervous about learning the ropes to a new city. I have family in the area who have been great in showing me around and helping me get acclimated to a completely new country. Cork is quite small compared to many cities in America so it is not too overwhelming. I have a feeling it will be the perfect place to spend my summer. There are many beautiful areas in the city that I can’t wait to spend more time in.

I am excited to explore my new city and begin my work experience at Frank Buttimer and Co. to learn more about the Irish legal system and see if a future in criminal defense could be possible for me.

One thought on “Arrival and Expectations | #1

Hi Erin! My name is Hannah Lozon and I work at the Opportunity Hub. I will be following your blog posts this summer and I look forward to hearing more about your experience at Frank Buttimer and Company. What a unique opportunity for you to be another country where you also happen to have family connections. WOW! I’m glad you ‘ll have that level of support while you’re abroad.

It was also so strategic of you to use this internship to build upon your experience with public defense, and now you can see it from another side. I look forward to learning more about your reflections as the summer progresses.

When you return to campus, I hope you’ll come see us at the Hub (if you haven’t already) as you narrow down your career trajectory and reflect on your experience this summer. We’d love to support you as you narrow down those goals.