Beginnings in Tirana #1

As I researched for different worthwhile summer opportunities, a thought came to my mind to look into opportunities offered in Albania, the country in which I was born. In this way, I would be able to spend time with a culture familiar to me, learn what has changed, and gain an experience I would not be able to find elsewhere. This opportunity seemed like the perfect match. It would offer me the chance to work with people in the community; it included a social and a health perspective which goes extremely well with what I am studying and the medical path I hope to follow. It has been a very positive start, and I have been able to communicate in Albanian at all times, for which I am thankful. I have had the opportunity to meet many people, from people at the Mayor’s office, to tourists from around the world, to people who are in need. Here, I have come to observe, closely, some of the different lifestyles that can exist in a single city. Thus far, although I was a bit nervous to stay in a city which I had barely visited, I have come to know and love the atmosphere. I am enjoying the weather, the delicious food, and most importantly, the fact that I can visit my family on the weekends. I look forward to the growth and the experiences to come!

Ditën e mirë!

Ermelinda

One thought on “Beginnings in Tirana #1

Ermelinda,

My name is Josh Lee, and I will be one of the staff members from the Opportunity Hub who will be reading and commenting on your blogs. Thank you for posting your first entry about your experience in Albania!

I’m intrigued to hear about moments of cultural dissonance you may experience while abroad, even whilst living and working in a country and culture with which you have a deep personal connection and a lot of firsthand experience. I am hopeful that you will not only be able to find a lot of fulfillment in the work you’ll be doing, but also in the opportunity to reconnect with your native country and culture. Your international experience is quite unique, in that you have so much familiarity with the language and customs of the country you are visiting – do you foresee this dual-culture identity serving you well as you continue through your work?

I’m looking forward to following your entries as you go through this experience. Good luck!

-Josh