Being Productive

Coming off of Independence Day and the long weekend that followed it, this Monday might be little bit harder to get back in the swing of things and to stay productive at work. I have discovered which tactics help, and which don’t, for me to stay focused on the task at hand. Maybe someone else can benefit from these things, too.

For me, I need to take a break. I need to get out of the office, and not look at my computer or phone. I take a walk in the afternoon, and it helps revive my focus.

Most of the time, I eat when I’m hungry. If I’m too hungry, I can’t focus on my work. I keep an apple and peanuts in  my bag, so I always have a healthy snack ready if need be.

Additionally, I drink a lot of coffee. I have a cup around 10, and one after lunch. Without it, I don’t get a lot of work done.

Headphones also can help, but not always. If I’m working on something that I need to really focus on, I can’t listen to music that has lyrics. In fact, I find somewhere to sit that is nearly silent. If I’m around people and talking too much, I’m much less productive.

I don’t find that my phone is a huge distraction, because hardly anyone contacts me with urgent information. Sometimes, it is helpful to put my phone away, especially if the work is boring.

Lastly, mindfulness. Being mindful about staying on task and not allowing your mind to wander is so important. It’s hard to train yourself to think like this, but it works and it is worth it.

One thought on “Being Productive

Thank you for your first couple of posts, Serena! My name My name is Jamie Monville and I’m a Mentorship Manager at the Hub. I’ll be following your blog posts this summer.

I’m glad to hear that you’ve been enjoying your time at FP1 Strategies! It sounds like everything has been extremely smooth thusfar in your internship which is great! That doesn’t always happen. I’m curious were there any aspects of the internship that you’ve been surprised by? I’d also love to learn more about what sparked your interest in working for FP1!

It’s great that you’ve been able to spend some time really figuring out what makes you productive and what takes away from your productivity. I’ve found that a lot of the tactics you describe in this post also work for me. When I’m doing focused work I need dead silence – and when I’m hitting a wall I find it’s really helpful to take a walk.

You mention that DC is an enjoyable city to work in. Have you been able to explore the city much?

Looking forward to reading more posts!