Frustration Setting In #2

• How has your internship differed from your beginning expectations? How has it been similar? Has anything surprised you about your internship?

At the beginning of my internship I was nervous that people working in my office would be so busy that they wouldn’t be able to take time and talk with me, talk about my goals, my life, etc. I was fearful that I wouldn’t be welcomed into the office, and unfortunately I was expecting a lot of social anxiety because of that. My first day of work my boss welcomed me into her office and I knew I would love it there. For the past month I have not been proven wrong.

While I believed I would have a hard time fitting into the office, especially since I’m just an intern, the intimate setting of the office, due to its small number of people, has made me feel at home. Every worker I worked with has been overwhelmingly nice and accepting, and I know that in the future non-profits are one great option for me. I like the feeling of comfort in the office, and I know I wouldn’t want to be somewhere where things are unfriendly or cut-throat.

Unfortunately, I have also been proven right with certain things. After a month of working with Catholic Charities in their Trafficking Victims Assistance Program, I’ve come to understand more of the difficulties that CC has in the program, and reasons to be discouraged and angry have come about. For example, much of my job includes making calls. Calls to other non-profits, calls to doctor offices, universities, client, etc. These calls are often sent to voicemail and never responding too. This can be infuriating as much of my jobs depends on these phone calls and the people on the other end of them. When a client needs a place to stay and I call different non-profits which might be able to help, if they don’t pick up that makes my job a lot more difficult and discouraging. How will I find housing for someone who needs it?!

I know in all work there are frustrations, and I CC is definitely a good example. There are so many ways in which the program is restricted to only being able to do certain things for clients. At times it feels as if the whole point of our job is to make up for the inefficiencies of other jobs. This is what I mean: Our clients aren’t able to work legally, drive legally, rent or own property legally, etc. in the U.S. until their lawyers are able to acquire a T-visa which tells the government that they are trafficking victims. Because we call and call, email and text, and clients and their lawyers are so hard to get ahold of, there is a tremendous waiting period before people get their visas. Our job is basically helping the clients in the interim period between leaving their trafficking situation and getting their visas. It feels as if our whole job is making up for the inefficiencies of the government and attorneys, and the difficult circumstances of the trafficking survivors. This could be mostly solved by granting T-visas in a normal period of time.

One thought on “Frustration Setting In #2

Wow Mackenzie! Thank you for sharing. This surely does sound frustrating, especially when you are trying to help folks who need it most! There is a stark contrast here between how happy you are with your co-workers in your work environment, and the difficulties of your job. I wonder if you have spoken with your colleagues about the problems and brainstormed or strategized with them different ways to be more effective? Since they have worked there longer, they might have some useful insight. In the meantime, keep up the good work, and keep critically analyzing the problems and solutions of the system.