First Day at The Farm at St. Joe’s Hospital

The Farm at St. Joe’s was created in order to promote living a healthy lifestyle for the patients and staff at the hospital.  The farm is a sustainable farm on the hospitals campus that provides some food to the food court, but is mainly used for educational and therapeutic purposes. They teach about sustainable farming, how to cook, use, and plant produce, and how sustainably grown produce is the foundation for having good health. I found this sateen to be very unique at a hospital and that is what initially drew me to the internship.

As an intern, I will be working to optimize production such as working in hoop houses and with composting. I will lead volunteer work days and work the farmers market. I will also create recipes, do cooking demonstrations, and educate those who visit the farm about sustainable agriculture and how to properly use fresh produce.

I am very excited to understand the actual production aspect of food and how we go from seed to stomach. I think this will be very valuable knowledge if I decide to go into the more business side of food sustainability. Having hands on experience of what it actually takes to produce food and knowledge of realistic solutions that work in real life (rather just on paper) will give me an upper hand in creative and sustainable problem solving for other food related businesses.

I got to harvest rainbow Swiss chard on my first day!

2 thoughts on “First Day at The Farm at St. Joe’s Hospital

Hi Kathleen!

My name is Beth Bodiya and I’m a Hub coach at the Hub. I, along with one of our Hub Interns, Jenny, will be following along with your blogs this summer! Looking forward to learning about your internship experience!

Thanks,
    Beth

Hello Kathleen,

I’m Jenny, a student engagement intern at the LSA Opportunity Hub and I’m excited to be following your blog posts this summer!

First of all, congratulations on your internship- it sounds awesome and I can tell that you really enjoyed your first day. I’m especially impressed that you will be creating recipes on the farm- do share your creations! I’m also intrigued to hear more of what you learn about food production. I think we know little about the sources of the food we consume every day, so I share your curiosity. It’s also great to see that you are laying out your learning goals for the internship. Thank you for blogging and sharing your experience!