Week 2 in Albania

This week I got the opportunity to travel to a small village in the southern mountains named Nivica. It has about 40 families and is on the rise as a high quality tourist area. In this village Auron is attempting to create a well know yet exclusive tourist stop. Located at the top of the mountain I got the chance to experience life in the mountains firsthand. Me and two other interns stayed in a quaint little bed and breakfast right on a canyon. We also visited several families in the village and I got the opportunity to analyze the healthcare scene in the village. We also got the amazing opportunity to hike the canyon to a beautiful waterfall. It was an amazing experience and it really exposed me to a different side of Albanian culture that is much different from the city of Tirana. The views are beautiful and the village is like one very large family. We also got to spend time with some students from the Czech Republic who were working on trail marking and students from Bristol University in the UK who were doing some archaeological research in the canyons and on the mountains. Overall it was a great experience and I look forward to visiting Nivica again during my time here in Albania.

One thought on “Week 2 in Albania

What a great experience! Those views must have been breathtaking.

Did you take any photos? Were you able to talk with any village locals during your visit?