Week 5 / Business as Usual

It was this week that it hit me the hardest how far away from home I am. Each day seemed to go by extremely fast but the week itself seemed to crawl. On Kegging team we lost an employee who had started during the internship. He had been a hard worker and had been using my ability to speak Japanese to help teach himself more English. However, the long hours and labor seems to have gotten to him. Or so I’ve heard. I’m hoping that the sick days I was told he was taking were actually that, that he enjoys the work as much as me. In the middle of the week, on Thursday, I had one of my biggest challenges yet. Sam had already gone through the experience I’m about to detail so I knew it wouldn’t break my desire to continue but I wasn’t looking forward to it. The brewery has a contract to make the lager sold at the Yokohama Baystars’ games, which are sold by beverage girls out of 10 liter kegs. A machine cleans and fills these kegs and we have to wash the kegs’ mouths and bodies before hand as well as load them onto pallets for shipping. On Thursday, I had to do 300 of them. It was monotonous and at times was exhausting from the sheer amount of same motions I made. However, the coworker I worked with made plenty of jokes and at the end made me and Sam honorary medals out of left over keg caps to commemorate the accomplishment.

One thought on “Week 5 / Business as Usual

Hi Kyle,

I’m so sorry to hear that it feels like your weeks are crawling by! Are you able to break up the weeks by doing something fun on the weekends? It sounds like while the work is hard, you are really enjoying learning the brewing process and what it makes to make the business run. It could be helpful to talk to friends, family, or other parts of your support system back home if you are starting to feel homesick.

That kind of work does sound incredibly monotonous and extremely hard! How do you feel now that you have persevered and made it to the end of the keg cleaning and loading? Being able to approach such a hard task like that with a positive attitude is such a great skill, which it seems that you have demonstrated by the honorary medal you have now 🙂

Wish you the best of luck during the rest of your summer!

– Danielle